Monday, January 30, 2006

Shemmy Sam Chandy

Yes... That's it. That's my name.
Wondering why i said that?...

Well, i was really jobless today morning (nothin new tho!!!), surfed for bout an hour and a half. That's when it hit me to just try my luck, google my name and see what comes up...
I have tried googling "Shemmy" before but never actually thought of my full name, so did it and nothing came up.

That's when i thought to myself, why dont i just blog bout my name?. Well, that's what you're reading now.

My name's Shemmy Sam Chandy. As far as as origins are concerned,
Shemmy has its roots in the bible - According to the account in Genesis, Noah was the son of Lamech and the grandson of Methuselah. He and his wife had three sons: Japheth, Shem and Ham. So, guess Shemmy's the personalized version of that.
Sam's the short for Samuel (from the bible again). Samuel comes from a Hebrew word which means "name of God" or "heard by God". It comes from 1 Samuel 1:20, where Hannah names her son in memory of her requesting a child from God and God listening, there have been many other convoluted etymologies given. The most frequent, and traditional, of these is Heard of God, seen as a reference to God hearing Hannah's plea.
Chandy - Chandy is my Father's Christian name. It's a derivation from the biblical Greek Xander or Alexander.

Well, coming to what people call me, its generally Sam or Shemmy. Used to be only Shemmy till my engineering days, until i came across people in my college who just couldn't pronounce my first name right. So, thought i'd make life easier for them and let them call me Sam, guess slowly its stuck.

So, how's that for a nice morning's work?

2 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

blogged again, lol... u happy?...
but u'd better comment...

7:08 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

dumbo, dint u read that???... xander!!!... please re-read the post five times... punishment...

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home